Thursday, May 29, 2014

Screaming Frog outside my window

So my husband and I have a built in pond in the back of our house. My husband and my father in laws bright idea!! I was encouraging at first but sometimes my husband has bright ideas but eventually overtime once they are finished he doesn't keep up with them. GOT LOVE HIM!! He is extremely tech savvy but wasn't born with a green thumb. Any who....the past couple of nights working on class work or reading my new obsession of a book called FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green (I always like to read the books before I see them in the movie theater) I have been hearing right outside my bedroom window this extremely annoying sound coming from a frog. It sounds like he or she is screaming. It is extremely annoying and carries on through out the time I am trying to concentrate on either school work or reading my book. I think being 5 months pregnant things irritate me faster then they used to...hormones,oh well!! Since I have been in science class, and blogging about science topics I decided to research this frog. Unfortunately, he only does this at night so I couldn't get a picture of him to see what he looks like. I was just curious to see why he does this extremely annoying sound if there was a reason behind this characteristic of this frog.

I found this researching...

"Frogs communicate with others of their species. Their "calls" fall into categories of attraction calls and aggression calls, as well as release calls, which are used by both males and females to signal non-readiness to mate. Some frogs emit their attraction calls separately and others join a group in an immensely loud "chorus" of calls.  For some frogs, making a call inflates and pulsates a conspicuous vocal sac located on their throat, which you can see in the photo to the right."  (welcomewildlife.com)


I figured it was some type of call to signal something for other frogs. This little part I found was interesting to me because it explain why why frogs do this.

As teachers, there are so many types of animals just in our backyard. As teachers, we can create a whole lesson around backyard species and get students really into it because they can investigate it more in depth and hands on (CAREFULLY OF COURSE and with Instruction) about these animals in everyday backyards that we have in Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment